Saturday, September 1, 2007

Eclipse


*Lunar Eclipse. Tuesday morning revealed a total lunar eclipse. I don't think I've seen a full one since I was much younger looking out the window of my parents house in Ohio and checking the status every few minutes until it fully eclipsed. As I recall, it may have been pretty cold outside and that is why we were inside. I could see the eclipse quite clearly from the other side of the parking area in front of my building. From that point, the moon was across the apartment lake so there was nothing blocking it. I was able to get a few pictures of the moon during different parts of the eclipse with my camera which was cool, and I think I may try to venture out to the river next time up in the park near Yorktown at one of the many many pull off locations if I ever get the chance again (and it isn't at 5am).

*Reading a book. I finished Harry potter right after my last update, and I finally went back to the library to turn it in and borrow some more books. After wandering around for a while I decided to pick up a couple Clancy books even though I figured I may not be in the mood to read those, I also stumbled on another author whom I like and had found before by accident. I think I originally intended to get a Dan Brown (Davinci Code author) book, and ended up with a Dale Brown book, but it was really good, so I got 2 more of his as well. Then I noticed some books by Ray Bradbury and picked up one called "The Martian Chronicles" about people going to mars in 1999-2007(ish) which was written in 1950. It was interesting to see how he thought technology and society would be in our day, and they did not have computers (in the book) but had rockets that could seemingly fly anywhere as much as they wanted, and racism was still very present in the form of near slavery like behavior. I read the book in one evening and enjoyed it. I could tell partway through that he had written Fahrenheit 451 (though I found out later that 451 was written later) as well, as there were some strong references to book burning (though I've never read 451). (The Martian Chronicles turns out to be his first novel, followed by 451, another, and then Something Wicked This Way Comes)

*Three weeks of work complete. Three weeks have been completed and I am still enjoying it. Oddly enough I was very glad when my boss got back from his trip on Friday around lunchtime because I was running out of things to do and tired of reading. He quickly gave me plenty to do and that actually made the time fly by. Next week is a big presentation so we have a lot of work to do.
*Three day weekend. With labor day on Monday, I have 3 days of nothing to do, and its awesome. I went to the DMV to change over my license and become officially a VA resident, and that took most of the morning, but since it isn't a positive, I won't say more.

*Quick post office trip. After the DMV I was dreading going to the post office and when I got there the line seemed moderately long compared to the other times I went, but not compared to the CS PO. I looked around and saw the automatic package center but didn't know if I could use it for what I was mailing, but there was a lady from the PO there to help people! I walked right up and she said it was fine and helped me mail it very quickly. I was in and out in just a couple of minutes and never had to stand in the long line!

*Chili. I made a ton of chili earlier in the week and ate it for leftovers a lot. yummy yummy.

*Fajitas at Kevin's. Kevin made fajitas and we chatted a lot since nobody else could come and stay. It was good, and next Wednesday may be my turn.

No comments: