Friday, February 29, 2008

Once in a blue moon

On this non-celebrated, rarer than a blue moon day (albeit more common than a black moon, which I will leave to you to figure out), I have decided to break out of my normal positives a plenty style and take a look at what has happened since the last Leap Day. Concentrating on a day by day basis, it is sometimes difficult to find the great things that happened that day, even when I know there must have been thousands of them that I just wasn't paying attention to. This often leads to thoughts about the general larger overarching positives in my life that are sometimes missed by looking for shorter term details.

Four years ago was 2004 believe it or not, and a whole lot has happened since then. At that point in time, I was buried in my classwork (happily at times!) and life seemed to be flying by. I definitely had a nice apartment, extremely close to campus, in the Presbyterian Campus Ministry building, with a pretty awesome roommate who I still hang out with when I get a chance. I must say that in retrospect, things were going really well...classes that may have seemed overly challenging were rewarding in the end, and those that required a lot of work were still enjoyable and are part of the reason I can do my job so easily today.

Senior year, design class was going well, and I once again confirmed that I had picked the absolute perfect major for myself. I definitely have to acknowledge that I was extremely fortunate to have found such a perfect fit, and known it since I was in jr. high. This does not happen for most people, and some even graduate without knowing for sure what they want to do. Senior year came with its challenges, but like all challenges they inspired positive changes. A big item to every graduating senior is the question of what to do after graduation. For some, this is a long and arduous process, for others a painful realization that they may not be where they want to be. I was more than fortunate when it came to this issue, as most who know me understand. I began applying to graduate schools, and before I could even finish the applications, a well known professor, and author of one of my textbooks, called me up to get me to go to Texas A&M and work with him. Being completely unable to say no to such an opportunity, I was in the door before finishing the application. The relief that this type of event brings is amazing and is one that sticks with me. Just one more example of how fortunate I was, and something that happened long before I started listing things in this blog.

I will admit that I was nervous about moving down to Texas, to a university/town/state I had never even visited. I checked out the area online and even communicated briefly with Kyle, and had a plan in place to at least start to try and make some friends. Everyone who I know for sure reads this knows the outcome of that...and it is another one of the huge positives that squeezes into so many of the details of my positives.

Moving was a long drive, with all of my stuff fitting in my car, and I managed to convince myself to give the United Campus Ministry a try and go tubing. That is one experience I have not forgotten, and though I don't remember who all I talked to that day, I do recall some people thinking that someone else must have brought me but they didn't know who.

The integration into UCM was quick and seamless, and I remember pausing after one semester (or less) and realizing that it felt like I had been in UCM for years. I recall Tara and I discussing it once and on more than one occasion she had forgotten I wasn't there before August. UCM became my second major and any investment I made into UCM was returned 10 fold.

The two years at Texas A&M flew by with remarkable speed and was gone before I knew it. As many know, they were not without their lack of challenges, some of which were quite huge and academic. The ride was bumpy in some areas, but the UCM friends managed to smooth it out anyway, and keep everything positive, for which I am extremely grateful.

I once again approached the problematic position of graduating. I often found myself slightly worried about what I would do when I graduated and what I would do if I did not find a job. The only thing that kept this feeling from becoming major was the sense that it would all work out just fine, and the fact that I had been in communication with Kevin E. about potential employment, and I had him as a strong internal advocate for hiring me. I am glad that he put his reputation on the line to help me out, and I know that he feels like it has paid off. I managed to get the job with my present employer AMA at the last possible moment. I had discovered that I was getting an interview on a Tuesday, and flown up for an interview the next Tuesday. The following week was an exceptionally long one with a rewarding finish. I presented my work for my Masters degree and got a job offer the following Tuesday at the exact same time (offer came during my presentation). I am glad for both of these positives, and it made for a huge day. I moved out of my apartment the following week and was grateful to have friends who let me stay with them for a few days until I flew up to VA to start my job.

When described, the whole experience sounds awesome, but I am constantly reminded that it was much more than that and that the positives were HUGE. I developed an amazing set of friends who welcome me back with open arms if I come to visit, and some of whom even take the time out of their own lives to plan a trip up to visit me! UCMers, you are all truly the best friends I could ask for!

My job has been something of a constant positive, as I work with some amazing people on a daily basis, and get to do some really interesting things. The months have flown by, and my co-workers all seem to appreciate the work that I do and are already putting some higher responsibilities on my shoulders. It is very nice to be trusted.

One major concern I had moving to a new area was the issue of friends once again. I had a plan going to TAMU, and it worked out just how I had hoped (and then some!). The plan for while employed was much less defined, so I decided to combine the friend finding with something more important...finding a home church. The task of finding a home church has been much more extensive than I had imagined, and some would look at it as a frustrating task, and allow it to consume them and cause them to give up. I realize that each church I visit is unique, and some I agree with more than others. The jumping around and seeing different points of view has helped to dramatically sharpen my own views, which I previously was not as sure of. In this way, I have benefited greatly from the experience already, and am likely to continue to do so.

Having more alone time has also caused me to often take a look around and realize that a large hole needs to be filled. This round hole has been plugged with square pegs in the past via the gaining of friends and not worrying about much else. The filling of the hole can only be accomplished through more active religious studies. Some would say that not hanging out with friends all the time would be boring and frustrating, but sometimes that is exactly what is needed to show us that we are missing, or lacking, in the most important area of our lives, and that we need to concentrate more on God than we have been. This experience has been a critical one, and is not yet over for me. I hope everyone has the feeling at some point (sooner rather than later!) that leads them to the same conclusions! I may not have found a home church yet, but I have found some religious friends, and grown a lot in my own faith.

This brings me to my next large positive, and much closer to the present. I am lucky enough to have some co-workers who are as fond of Ultimate Frisbee as I am, and one who actually plays on a regular basis with some friends of theirs from their church (not coincidentally the most recent one I visited). We get to play quite often, even in the wind, rain, or cold! It is great to have a group of people to hang out and get some exercise with in a fun outdoor way.

This brings me up to the present day, and I really hope that everyone who has actually bothered to read this all the way to this point (I know there may only be 2 who do), takes the time to stop and think about what has happened to them in the last 4 years. It is truly remarkable how fortunate we can be on the whole, and yet how wrapped up in day-to-day business we can become. I encourage you to stop and take a half an hour sometime soon to sit by yourself in a quiet area and think about the larger positives that have come about in your life. You will be amazed how quickly a half an hour can really go by, and that it truly isn't enough time to fathom all the great things God has provided for you. And with that I say, Happy Leap Day.

No comments: